The evolution of the current urban space in the Plaza de Ramales is generated through the addition of the space belonging to the former Plaza de San Juan and the demolition, in the time of José Bonaparte, of the Church of San Juan Bautista, affected by the demolition work done for the layout of the Plaza de Oriente. The current physical boundaries of the square are the result of correcting the alignments of the blocks that shape and define the square and were executed throughout the 19th century, of the construction of the block situated between Vergara and Lepanto streets and the construction of the so-called Colegio de la República (School of the Republic) in the 20th century in the section of the block defined by Noblejas street, Requena street and the Plaza de Ramales itself. The church of San Juan Bautista was erected in 1212, and continued to be transformed over the course of the centuries, until it was finally demolished between 1810 and 1811, the time at which the Plaza de Ramales was created, which would be finished in 1984. The first archaeological excavations were carried out in the 50s and 60s. The procedure consisted of renewing the square’s infrastructures, which would be for pedestrian use, but leaving the imprint of the church that occupied this space in its day and coordinating this with the operation of a resident car park.